Purple cabbage is one of those bang-for-your buck kind of vegetables. There is so much goodness in it, and it really helps that when prepared the right way, it tastes really good too. Try it in this dish, but also use it in coleslaws, stir-fries and even veggie juices.
For this pork and purple cabbage dish, you will need:
• 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
• 1 small green cabbage, chopped
• 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
• 1 pack of pork sausages, cooked and sliced
• 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
• 1⁄4 teaspoon mixed herbs
• salt, to taste
• black pepper, to taste
• Fresh chillies, to taste (scrape out the seeds to lower the intensity of the heat.
1. Chop/slice the cooked sausages, cabbage, chillies and onion.
2. In a large non-stick skillet/wok, melt the butter. Add cabbage and onion and cook on medium-high for about 5 minutes stirring until cabbage starts to wilt.
3. Add remaining ingredients, and the sausage.
4. Cover the skillet/wok and cook for about 10 minutes.
5. Uncover, and finish cooking until cabbage is desired tenderness and most of liquid has been reduced.